Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Fall Fashion Through the Years: 1980's


I had a lot of fun with this one! 
 Since I already dress very similar to the 80s style, it was pretty easy to find pieces to put together for an outfit from the decade. 
 I only wish I could have found a brightly colored ski jacket (which was popular in the fall and winter), to add that pop of color they were so fond of 30+ years ago, but I did the best I could with what I had on hand. 
 Before we begin, I thought it would be fun to pot in a few random facts about the decade. Google didn't give me much and I didn't have time for super deep research on the culture of the era, so I do apologize if my facts seem boring. lol 

 Facts about the 80's: 
  • McDonalds Chicken McNuggets were put on its ever-expanding menu in 1981, changing the lives of children everywhere.

  • The earliest cell phones had huge battery packs and could weigh over 20 pounds.

  • This decade gave us the iconic 'Indiana Jones' franchise, The Karate KidRed Dawn (a thousand times better than the remake), McGyver and Murder She Wrote  

  • Ronald Reagan is elected President 

  • Mount Saint Helens erupted, dropping her ash all over the world 

  • 'Preppries' rise in society, bringing the sophisticated style and the 'money, money, money' attitude. It was the age of rising to the top as fast as you could. 

  • Bon Jovi rises to stardom

  • The Cosby Show is popular 
Some songs from the decade include: 
  • Footloose
  • Don't Stop Believin'
  • I Love Rock N' Roll
  • Eye of the Tiger 
  • Amarillo by Morning 
  • Africa
  • Forever and Ever Amen
  • Fishin' in the Dark 
  • When You Say Nothing at All
  • Down Under
  • Mountain Music 
  • Smoky Mountain Rain 
  • Livin' On a Prayer
  • I Love a Rainy Night 
  • Nobody 
  • Queen of Hearts 
  • Here I Go Again 

There were many musical treasure born in the 1980's! *suppressed squeals*

Scrunchies, bangles, hoop earrings, and big hair defined the era. Stone-washed denim was the rage, as well as big hair, bright colors, padded shoulders, and aerobic wear. The word was 'bold' and they knew how to do it!





note the ski jacket I mentioned earlier

But, thankfully, not all the girls dressed in crazy colors, especially in the fall. Lucky for me, since I don't own anything that isn't neutral! 



These two photos are where I got my inspiration from. Unfortunately, I don't own a pair of vintage jeans (I would LOVE some!) so these modern, high-waisted skinny jeans will have to do. They aren't as baggy as the jeans of the time, but they are somewhat stone-washed, so that's a point for me.
 I also don't own a pair of vintage shoes, so please don't laugh at my very modern Converses. I did the best I could!   
 My hair isn't nearly as curly as they would have had it back on the day, but I have always struggled with getting volume out of my heavy strands. I'm sure there were girls in the 1980s with the same problem! 
 The eye makeup seemed to center around blue and pinks (if they didn't have a million colors. Some did), blush was exaggerated, and lips very PINK. 













And there you are! My attempt at a 1980's time tunnel. 
 I really enjoyed dressing up and trying my hardest to get the colorful eye makeup without looking too crazy. (how did they dare to wear all those crazy colors?) 
 This outfit could easily be worn nowdays, since the 80's and 90's are very in trend right now. And that's fine by me! I would wear this again! Except the crazy colored socks 

Let me know what you thought, and keep the decade requests coming! I will be back with another travel through time in just a bit! 

Until then, stay chill and cluuuuuutch. 









5 comments:

  1. So fun! Looking forward to more.
    I like that you have the facts about that time era too. I *actually* know/recognize at least five of the songs. "When You Say Nothing at All" is <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok ok ok ok ok ok
    first of all I LOVE that the 80s and 90s are "in". I am obsessed with that style <3333 also, the 80s was a great time for music.
    ANNNNDDDD I took those pictures of you *sunglasses*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO enjoyed this post! I can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete