Monday, October 29, 2018

Skin Care


All right, let's talk about something very few girls actually think about:
 Facial Skincare.

Now, I'm not going to talk about BB cream, serums, lotions.... all those fads going around these days. I'm here to discuss good old-fashioned skincare that requires an average of three steps.

One: Cleaning
Please, please, please, don't ever go to bed with a makeup on, girls. I can't even begin to tell you the importance of this step if you want healthy skin.
 Now what happens when you fall asleep?
Your body starts to go to work, right? Fighting against germs, doing its natural thing God intended it to do while we sleep. What also happens to you skin?
 It starts to 'breath', shall we say, and your pores are going to open.
If you have dirt, makeup, sweat, or other grime on your skin, that's going to get trapped inside those pores, and will eventually create a pimple. Hello acne.
 Washing your face (with a cleanser!) before bed every night, and each morning, will lessen your acne flareups and actually help keep away wrinkles as you get older.
 And don't ever put makeup on a dirty face. Ugh, no, no, no. That will also cause breakouts, as well as dirty your makeup, which causes even more acne, which causes.... you get the idea. It's a never-ending cycle.
 I usually wash my face with Black African bar soap every night before bed, whether I have makeup on or not, a Shea butter bar for the day, and that has really helped keep my skin clear and soft.
 Whatever cleanser works for you is fine. My mom uses those Norwex facial cloths infused with silver, and it has helped keep her skin nice and fresh, so again, whatever works for you.
 The main thing is keep your skin clean.

Two: Toning
 Now a lot of people skip this step, but I have found through the years that this step has cleared up my face considerably.
 After cleansing, go in with a toner.
Burt's Bees Rosewater was my favorite for years, and still is. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to afford anymore at the moment, so I'm using a homemade toner that doesn't work as well.
 The reason for a toner is to close your pores after cleansing, and to balance the skin, as well as keep it glowing and healthy.
I usually use a cotton ball or pad, dump a small amount of rosewater on it, and rub into the skin.
 Sometimes, if my skin is really feeling the effects of life, I'll use a mud mask before the toner, just for a little 'pick-me-up'. Sometimes I'll do it both Friday and Saturday night, so my skin is looking good for the weekend.
 This stuff I picked up from my local Walmart over a year ago, and it's still about 1/4 full. So defently worth the buy!


This will help calm my skin, and the tea tree oil has such a soothing effect. All I do is apply it in a thin layer onto my face, let it sit for about ten minutes, then wipe it off before spritzing my face with toner and continuing my usual routine. 

Three: Moisturizing 
Although toner is very good for your skin, it also can dry it out. In the winter especially, the wind and other elements can also be very harsh on your skin.
 So after the toner, finish with a nice moisturizer.
I've used many different kinds, even just regular body lotion, Lavishmint lotion (which is also really great), but what has really worked for me is *drum roll please* coconut oil.


Now some people have said that coconut oil clogs your pores and to go with almond or castor oil instead, but I personally have greatly improved in my acne after using it.
 So I guess whatever your skin likes, go for it.
At night, I massage the oil into my skin, (believe me, it isn't as greasy as it sounds) then lay back, all ready for a good's night sleep.
 During the day, if I am going to spend quite a bit of time in the sun, I will sometimes replace it with some tinted moisturizer from Physician's Formula.


Then I follow with my usual makeup routine.
 Speaking of which, may I take this time to tell you just how unhealthy drugstore makeup is for your face? Just think about all those chemicals you putting into your skin and letting it sink into your body!
 Quite a few years ago, when I was about... fifteen? I decided I was done with itchy, rashes bumps all across my forehead and decided to give mineral makeup a try.
 For a couple years I used the mineral powder from Beeyoutiful.com, and ordered a few other products, which I loved.
 Although the mineral makeup did help bring my breakouts to an end, I wasn't too pleased with the foundation. It was a loose powder, and the routine needed to get good coverage caused it to be too cakey. I felt a little tight and painted up every time I used it.
 Then I decided to give Physician's Formula (the organic line) a try, and I liked that for a little while. It felt more natural, but still not quite what I was looking for.
 Then the local Walmart started selling a wide variety of natural makeup, and I am pretty excited, I have to say. As of now, I've been using Burt's Bees foundation and powder, but am always tempted to give the other brands a try. For now, I'm sticking this new stuff, because it works wonderfully.





Because I have sensitive eyes, I haven't been able to use any eye makeup except from Beeyoutiful.



 It works fine once you get the hang of it, but I do sometimes wish I could try some pressed powder instead of loose. (It can get everywhere) 
 Burt's Bees has a palette of eye makeup I have been eyeing for a while now, and I plan on purchasing it to give it a try at some point. 

 So I guess what I'm trying to say: 
For the best skin you could possibly have, follow these steps. 
 Cleansing, Toning, Moisturizing, and natural makeup if you use any. 
Simple? It's very simple. 
 And putting this into your daily routine isn't as hard as some of you may think; I do it without even thinking about it now.

 Tell me, lovies. What would you like to see next? 
A post about DIY beauty products, my favorite hairstyle YouTubers, Diet Tips, or my personal beauty icons? 
 Let me know in the comments and have a wonderful day! 

Remember, you're the daughter of a King. You're a princess, you're beautiful and you're loved. 





4 comments:

  1. You have always been on top of this whole skin care routine. And! You make it sound and look so romantic and simple.
    I am lazy. But, I do wash my face with Black Soap every day and use the same brand of face lotion. On top of that I use natural make-up. Yes! It has helped me skin A LOT.

    Do your hairstyles next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes Burts bees and natural makeup and coconut oil!! I also have that African soap face mask and I love it! I've been trying to keep my skin better and these were great tips..thanks! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would buy natural makeup if I had the money, but for now, I stick with, as you say "chemicals"

    I agree with Felicity, hair styles next!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually use coconut oil as my make-up remover. ;) I pretty much wear make-up on my eyes and that's all. I don't really do anything for my skin besides. xP Maybe I should, but my face has always been fairly clear.
    I had some natural mascara my mom bought me for Christmas, but I think it might be about used up now. The brand was Endlessly Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete